Walter Young Scholarship Award Program
78th Annual Deming Conference on Applied Statistics – December, 2022
Deming Conference Organization Inc. desires to encourage and support the application of applied statistics, statistical concepts and methodology in all professional fields through a college scholarship award program. Students who meet the eligibility requirements are encouraged to complete and submit the application materials detailed below.
Selection of award recipient(s) will be made by Deming Conference Organization Inc. Scholarship Committee based on the content of application materials and, if necessary, personal interviews. The Committee may decide to award all, some, or none, of the available scholarship funds. In all cases, the decision of the Committee is final.
Award recipient(s) and up to three guests (Normally immediate family, please), may be invited to attend a recognition ceremony and dinner. A recognition ceremony and an awards dinner may be held at the next Deming Conference location. Award payments will be made directly to the student.
I. Amount of Scholarship
The scholarship may be for $5,000 for one year applied to the applicant’s expenses.
To be eligible to be considered for an award, applicants must meet all the following qualifications:
- Be accepted/matriculated in the Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, or Senior year of studies at an accredited college or university in the United States.
- Have a cumulative Grade Point Average of 2.75 or better on a 4.0 scale or equivalent.
- Be an attendee or Conference Committee Member, or Speaker at that 2022, 2023 Deming Conference or their spouse, children, stepchildren, or grandchildren.
- Be sponsored by a Conference Committee member. A Conference Committee member may sponsor one candidate in any year in which they continue to hold a conference position. The conference committee member shall send a letter of recommendation to the scholarship committee.
- Be the children, stepchildren, grandchildren, or great grandchildren of Mr. and Mrs. Walter R Young
- Submit all required application materials as described in Section III.
Materials – Applicants for a scholarship award must submit the following information to the Deming Scholarship Committee:
- A completed form; find it here >> Application Form.
- An official academic transcript showing grades for the entire enrollment in high school or college, current school or prior college(s), if any.
- Two letters of recommendation that address the applicant’s character and ability, at least one from a professor/teacher or official from the applicant’s current school.
- An essay written by the applicant, of two typed pages not more than three single-spaced, covering the points detailed in Part 2 of the application. Your originality will be considered when scoring.
- Scholarship Chair must receive completed applications by April 1st, 2023. It is strongly recommended that applications be mailed via registered or certified mail. If an Email application is sent you must verify that you received a reply from the Scholarship Committee notifying you that it has been received.
- No incomplete or incorrect applications will be considered. Please be sure you meet all qualification requirements.
- No faxed copies of an applications will be accepted.
Each application will be assigned a review number/letter. The applications will then be distributed to the Scholarship Committee for a (blind*) review. The review will be scored (blindly) according to criteria predefined by the Scholarship Committee. The Committee reserves the right to distribute the amount of the scholarship to multiple recipients at their discretion. The decision of the Committee is final.
* Blind review does not guarantee that the review committee members will not know the identity of the applicant since the review documents may still identify the applicant by association.
The recipient should be notified via mail or email by May 15th. The recipient may also be recognized during an awards banquet scheduled during the 2023 conference with the exact date and location to be determined and published on the Deming Conference Web site.
Any questions related to the application can be directed to
Joseph Borden, Scholarship Chair at 321-626-4728 or email: Cajinjoe@gmail.com
Applications should be sent to the Scholarship Chair:
Deming Scholarship Committee
3246 Pheasant Trl.
Mims, FL 32754